The Teeth of Dahlver-Nar

Oh wow, THIS is funky

Just a green rag that will become a bag filled with teeth.

Ohhhh ho ho, this is a weird item. And extraordinarily powerful! I debated whether to make it or not for a while, since it's, well, not a card deck, but... it's a random draw item. So is the Bag of Beans to be fair, but that's more of a 'roll a d100' type thing rather than 'each item is different' type item. There's also the various Bags of Tricks, but that has a similar situation, and as much as I vaguely want to create a bag with various toy animal figures in there, that just doesn't sit in the same, weird way that the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar sits. Like the teeth in your mouth when you implant them lol. So this one had to be made. It could also be bought for 70 quid, but... that's 70 quid, and this... isn't lol.

So we started with scraps! The first thing (since at the time of beginning this, January 28 2024, I didn't have access to an oven to dry clay) that I came up with to make was an instruction card, which would sit inside of the bag with the teeth until used. I'd debated whether to use a spare scrap playing card, but instead opted to use that red-backed card that came with the Dungeons and Dragons Adventurer dice, since it's red, which will work well with the... *thesaurus morbid* ghastly nature of this item lol. I figured to print out the instructions in tiny-print, and cut it out so that it's outlined in the red of that card. And then, what really kicked starting this project into gear, was finding this ugly putrid-green rag on the way back from going grocery shopping lol. It looks like it had been used to clean paint perhaps (on the backside, what will become the inside), and it was just the right kind of ugly-green colour that would work well with the macabre look that I wanted for this. Becoming vegan, I was balking at making a bag out of actual leather if it didn't come from proper indigenous sources, and being in England that was less than likely, so finding this putrid-green rag clinched starting up the page for this item. The actual item description lists it as being a leather pouch with stitched images, but that ain't happening lol, so *thesaurus putrid* decaying-green it is! It'll personalize it a bit more!

So on initial attempts to turn the entire cloth into a pouch, that was... ludicrously way too big. Also odd-shaped, which to be fair I didn't mind, but WAY too big. So we trimmed it out to a circle as large as I could make it, for the time being. I need to finish the teeth however to see how much space the whole of them will take up in there. We have however made the instruction card, which will hang on the outside of the pouch, since it was simply too large to fit inside well. I could have made a folding book, pondered it a bit, but ended up deciding against it. Just... more difficult to read kinda thing.

And the tooth-carving continues! We have finished, or more-or-less finished eight teeth in this photo, nine as I've done one more before editing this webpage after taking the shot. They mostly need to be either sanded or lightly shaved down to round out as needed, and some of them need their decorative lines carved into them (I'm looking at you, swirly-looking twisted beholder tooth), which I will do once they're coated in a layer or two of either PVA glue or nailpolish topcoat, since the wood that I found is very dry, and is prone to crumbling off if I try to take a file to it. So it'll be best to smooth out the surfaces with glue/topcoat and then carve the grooves into that.

More updates to come

Made January 28 - ???, 2024



Aw yeah you can pull a tooth!
The dungeons and dragons adventurer pressboard sheet that held the metal dice box inside of its plastic packaging. It says it's from hachette partworks, and that the plastic blister pack is recyclable.The red side of the pressboard, that was visible behind the dice when the magasine was new in its packaging. The pressboard card has been creased in half in preparation for cutting it and gluing the two halves together.

The putrid green rag that Kabutroid found on the ground.A handful of pieces of a branch on a beige canvas tarp, along with a printout of the comparison sizes of the teeth of dahlver nar, with one tooth fully carved, the green steel pit fiend, and one partially finished, the jagged tarrasque sliver, sitting beside their counterparts of the printout.

The green pouch with a yellow drawstring sitting on top of it, sitting on a bed, roughly cut with no stitchwork done to the cut edges of the pouch, as I will likely be trimming it down further by the end, but at least it's more pouch-looking now. The instruction card is laying on top, a white text paper taped to the red cardstock with about two millimeters of red around the outside of the paper, with a strip of rough yellow fabric running through the chainmaille ring on the corner, which is what it will be attached to the pouch with, in the present thoughts.The same photo, but with the instruction card flipped over to show all of the twenty teeth, numbered to the instructions on the first side, so that you can figure out which tooth you have drawn.

The printout of the relative sizes of the teeth, with eight of them now carved and placed beside their image on the printout.